Patience is a Virtue That Everyone Should Have but, I Want Mine Now!

In the criminal law, a conspiracy is an agreement between two or more persons to break the law at some time in the future, and, in some cases, with at least one overt act in furtherance of that agreement. There is no limit on the number participating in the conspiracy and, in most countries, no requirement that any steps have been taken to put the plan into effect (compare attempts which require proximity to the full offence). For the purposes of concurrence, the actus reus is a continuing one and parties may join the plot later and incur joint liability and conspiracy can be charged where the co-conspirators have been acquitted or cannot be traced. Finally, repentance by one or more parties does not affect liability but may reduce their sentence.

Wednesday 24 February 2010

Jesus Christ Gerry - What Next?!

Big Gerry Adams kicked off the Channel 4 series, The Bible: A History last night and kicked off His big shoes that He had been “ploughing in all day” to swish His big sweaty kebs around in the filthy, polluted waters of the River Jordan. It was a strange thing to watch and kind of uncomfortable. I was reminded of David Frosts’ comment regarding President Nixon, “The man suffered from total lack of any real personality outside of politics”.

Big Gerry cut a linear one-dimensional figure that parroted and regurgitated old republican clichés about Sinn Fein being once an underground movement and the tomb of Jesus being like a Long Kesh Tunnel. He seemed totally unable to think outside His own narrow experience of Northern Ireland. It was a case of me; me, me, me, me, me and did I remember to mention ME?!

Jesus and the bible did get a bit of a look in with Big Gerry reading drone-like from the Gospels and talking about how Christmas was ruined now that it was revealed that Jesus was most likely born in Nazareth and not on December 25th. He also commented on how Barrabas could be seen by some as freedom fighter and not a terrorist. A bit like Big Gerry Himself again really, me, me, me!

I can’t say with any certainty how flattered Jesus and Barrabas must feel to be talked about and compared to Big Gerry Himself but, I’m sure that Big Gerry feels a lot better about Himself now that He has given some credit to these two biblical dudes for all His own achievements in Northern Ireland.

He told us how He had forgiven those who had hurt Him and how we all need the capacity to forgive and be forgiven. Wonder where He heard that one?

It’s not difficult to see why this man has never given too much away about His private life or why He has never given any insights into His personality outside of His military and political life. He has nothing to say that’s interesting and if He hadn’t had the constant prepping and guidance of those behind Him and above Him pulling His strings all these years, then He may well have been found today having been promoted from glass-washer to pulling pints in the Duke of York Bar where He would talk, talk, talk to any punter who would listen to Him about er, um, er, um, Himself.

To be honest though I can’t say I blame Him – if someone had offered me a free all expenses paid holiday in the Holy Lands and ten grand spending money, I would have been away in a shot , (blank cartridge of course) to talk complete shite too! Nice work if you can get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment